Monday, December 3, 2007

the wonder of it all

Ahh, snow. I woke up yesterday morning to happily realize that it still hasn't lost it's magic. Everything else loses it's magic eventually. For me. Times Square is an example (although with a couple of drinks and good friends it becomes somewhat magical again).

Remember when you were little, and you'd peer out your window to see nothing but white on the ground? It happened so rarely that when it did, nothing could possibly make you happier. Half an inch of snow and it changed your entire world for a day or two. No school. Miniature snowmen (the amount of Texas snow doesn't exactly lend itself to beautiful ice sculptures, but that was fine). Neighbors. Friends. Best of all, snow ice cream (mom's special recipe).

Yesterday I woke up, looked out the window, and saw a landscape of white. The world didn't stop. I still had to go to work and run errands and be a somewhat responsible adult. But it truly didn't matter. The whole day was still magical.

Tonight I had a great night out shopping with Nina and Danielle. We each spent a lot of money to get necessary items (skinny jeans, socks, Cinnabon, house slippers, Victoria Secret comfy adorable oversized sleep shirts). We stopped by Macy's holiday window display as part of the night's festivities. It was absolutely beautiful. And there were strangers just gathered all around in awe.

On the way home, I was so bundled up that I wasn't too terribly cold, and yet it started snowing. I was walking in this beautiful snow falling down, and I wasn't too cold, and I felt like I was inside a snowglobe. It was all very vivid, calming, and picturesque. Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is: for the first time this year it truly felt like Christmas. Yes, the holiday season has arrived!

I don't want to think that I'm going to get used to the snow. Or worse, sick of it. That time will come when it must. Right now I want to cling on to every last bit of magic I can, because it's all disappearing so quickly.

4 comments:

Pretty in Manhattan said...

So true...unfortunately I live with a jaded new yorker...lol. She hates the winter!!

Grace Walton said...

Aw Mikah, I love reading your blog. I tried to go see the movie Enchanted the other day when I was really down. So I got to the theatre and was so excited and it wasn´t playing. Pretty sad, but I did get to see the new Woody Allen movie. Thank God for the little things right. I´m happy there is someone else who still looks for the magic. Love you.

James said...

That was beautiful.

Jill said...

Awww, snow! I love the way you describe it, it sounds so beautiful. Curt and I celebrated Christmas yesterday. It was 81 degrees out. I wore a red and white, speghetti strap, short dress with flip flops. It really put me in the Christmas spirit, let me tell ya. Merry Christmas, Mike!