Friday, November 2, 2007

happy halloween

I was at work, feeling sorry for myself as usual. Looking outside at everyone in their costumes. They all looked like they were having such fun. I was sure most of them were all going to huge wonderful parties to have the time of their life. And the rest of them were going to the parade. I was standing in front of the door, hostessing, being fake nice, freezing my butt off, prepared to stay until midnight or 1 in the morning.

THEN my wonderful amazing magnificent boss Tony saunters up to me. And says, "you want to go home?" I thought I was hearing things. I had him repeat it. It was a slow night. He didn't need me for the night. I COULD GO HOME.

All of a sudden, my mood changed! I was the happiest girl in the world! My heart was light and joyful! I WAS FREE! I think the subway ride home was the most joyful time I've spent in New York so far. I felt like jumping up and serenading all the stoic silent people next to me.

But that's not all. That's not the end of this oddly wonderful night.

I got a phone call from my roommate inviting me to a Halloween party. Costume not necessary. So I spontaneously hopped back on the subway and headed back into the city. It's not until I met up with her and started heading to the party when it hit me that she works for Xanadu (backstage assistant) and we were headed to the Xanadu Broadway cast party. We walked in to the upstairs section of the fancy-schmancy bar. It was a small invite-only party, so Danielle had to tell the door guy "who we knew". We got tickets for free drinks. I was suddenly immersed in all these industry people, some I recognized from pictures. Then...Kerry Butler and Cheyenne Jackson showed up. I couldn't believe I was at a party with these people I look up to so incredibly much. But I couldn't talk to them. I was at a party with them, and could talk to the people Danielle knew -- some musicians, some backstage crew...but not the actors. I didn't want to look like a crazy theatre fan. I was trying so hard to blend in and look cool.

In a way, it was frustrating. It was like...so close, and yet so far away. Half of me felt like I belonged there and fit in perfectly. The other half of me realized that I was light years away from actually BEING THERE.

Still, the night inspired me. I want to start auditioning again.

It's funny the little things that make you happy. It's funny the little things that make your LIFE. But thank goodness for them.

1 comment:

Grace Walton said...

Oh my Gosh, this is so amazing. I don´t even know what to say, but just you wait till you hear about the Halloween I had, you will laugh or cry, I´m not sure. I´m so jealous what a party, why are there no pictures? Maybe I don´t believe you. Kerry Butler, please.