Wednesday, December 26, 2007

fresh start

I just realized most of my blogs are about food. This one isn't. It's the typical New Years Resolutions blog, and if you'll notice, there's not one thing in it about dieting or black & white cookies or anything. Yeah, I'm awesome. So here goes:

1. Start taking classes and auditioning. By word of mouth, I've found a vocal coach and a good dance studio both decently priced. Now I just have to find some kind of acting or improvisational class and I'm all set.

2. While getting back into theatre, I want to stay balanced. Have other interests besides theatre. After all, theatre is now my profession and I don't want it to be my only hobby too. I've always been interested in philosophy but I'm pretty ignorant so I think I'm actually going to take this weekly intro to philosophy class. I saw an ad on the subway and I think it's fate. Along these lines, I want to read more. Not just trashy chick lit, but things that might actually improve my mind. Oh, and fairy tales. I know that sounds silly but I bought two complete leather bound sets of fairy tales (one Grimm, one Hans Christian Anderson) and I can't wait to dive into them. Have you ever read the real Little Mermaid? Creepy, man. There's something about original fairy tales that's so fascinating to me. Something about the contrast of darkness and happily ever afters.

3. Stay organized. I realize I'll never be super clean (blame it on my creative side, ha), but I can make a decent attempt. When my room is cluttered my mind is cluttered; it's true. You'd think that would be motivation enough to clean. But damn...it isn't.

4. Get my finances in order. Actually create a budget and stick to it. (I'm such an adult.)

I think that's all I can put on the list if I want to get anything specific accomplished at all.

So, 2008, eh? A completely brand new year. In the city. I can't believe that I'm actually "being" that starving artist I talked about being for so long. It's odd, but I wasn't ever afraid. I like that. I like that I just jumped into it. I want to approach everything in life that way. I think if you just take chances, doors will open. They may not be the doors you expect, so you have to watch carefully, but they'll open nonetheless. Suck it up and go for whatever you want. We were not born to settle into routine and pay taxes. We were born to create and explore. There's so much more out there. So...(I hope this doesn't sound pretentious, because I'm trying to take my own advice) if anyone is reading this, I hope you feel a bit inspired to go out and take pictures, smile at strangers, shake up the scene around you, and fall a little in love with life.

Happy New Years! I love you guys.

3 comments:

Grace Walton said...

Happy New year love, so proud of you and great job with the blog.

James said...

Very well said!

Anonymous said...

Mikah I can only hope that LA will be as inspiring as New York was for you! Happy New Year!